Monday, November 1, 2010

Professionalism Part 1 – Dress Code

Professional as defined by Blacks Law Dictionary

“A person who belongs to a learned profession or whose occupation requires a high level of training and proficiency.”

As most of you know I was brought before a board review committee earlier this year as I spoke about in a previous post. During that post I mentioned and over zealous government guy.

What I failed to mention is that this particular gentlemen was the best dressed surveyor I have ever seen.
If memory serves correct he had on either a brown or olive green suit. Nice, the latter of which I personally own.

Now what I want to point out is because of the way he was dressed, I took him to be the most professional man in the room (which may or may not be the case) but that is how I perceived it. The utmost of professional appearance.

Here comes the polar opposite.

By far the most talented surveyor I have ever had in my employ was a total dump of a human being. He was so good at surveying that I actually related him to a savant.

Problem: His wardrobe consisted of sweat shorts and wife beaters and contrary to his up bringing (his mom was an English teacher) his grammar was so bad it was inconceivable.

His skill was great, but as a business owner there was no way I could let him deal with clients, send him to a job site at someone’s home or represent in anyway except from behind the scenes.

It became a sore spot that he was being held back even though his skill was so awesome. (I did pay him very well but he wanted more.) Many times I tried to tell him that if he straightened himself up as far as looks and dress I could promote him easier. He refused to listen.

I had another kid working for me that was tattooed from collar bone to tip of toe. Now this kid was smart. He always wore pants and long sleeves. He figured that while he was walking art, how he would be perceived was important.
He also had great grammar, was personable and knew a lot less about surveying than the first guy I mentioned, but I would send him anywhere.

Discrimination??? Oh hell yes!!!!!

I am a discriminating employer. My employees are an extension of me and my business and will only put those who look and speak well in front of people.

I personally belong to a couple of organizations where I represent as a Land Surveyor. When I attend I usually go business casual, but there are certain times when the suit is required (I am going to take a moment to say that when I am wearing a suit and if I was in the same room as said suited government guy, I would be the best dressedJ).

Going back to the first guy I mentioned I am going to point something out. While wearing great clothes in the field is not possible it is possible to look good.

If a crew chief with a bunch of face piercings wearing cut offs and a t shirt with a pot leaf on it rolls onto a job site what is the client going to think?? He is going to say to himself I am paying $XXX and hour for this, why?

If surveyors want to make more money we have to enforce a code of looks. Perception is a real thing. If we look better, people will have an easier time paying a higher hourly rate.
Screw being politically correct.

An attorney is usually in suit and tie. They charge and average of $350 an hour (mine do anyway) and they always get paid without question.

Now the big question. How come we can’t bill $350 an hour? We should be able to. Our profession is one of the most important on earth.

Thoughts??

No comments:

Post a Comment