Monday, November 22, 2010

4 Day Weekend Rush

This upcoming weekend can be considered a good or bad thing or more of a hectic thing.

For those of you that are employees you can go about it with a carefree attitude with the idea that you get a paid day off and go drink lots of beer and hang with the family.

For those of us that own a business holiday weekends can be a nightmare in that we have to go on a mad rush to get lots of things done before Wednesday evening, jobs out the door, billing, checks, job prep for the following Monday and hope that no one has concrete coming on Friday.

That is how it is for me at the moment. I have to do all of that (thankfully no concrete is coming) which includes, billing, get 6 jobs out the door, write checks and job prep for Monday in order to relax for a full 4 days. (Badly needed!!!)

Good, bad or ugly? That is the life of a business owner, no matter how many employees I have had to cover things I have always been the last one out the door on a holiday weekend.

Those of you that are worker bees have it very easy. You have to do your job and that is it. The owner has to know how to do every job.

Would I change it and go to work for someone? Doubtful. I have been doing it like this way to long. Well if the offer was really kick ass, maybe???

1 comment:

  1. I owned my own company at one time, but had to let it go (early 80's when the economy tanked). I know what you're saying about being the last one out the door on a holiday weekend. But, as I've gotten older and have worked for several successful companies, one thing I noticed is, the owners are often the FIRST ones to leave on a holiday weekend. Why? Because they have their "worker bees" organized in such a manner that they feel confident the work is being done properly. Last year, at our office's informal Christmas get-together (a catered thing in the company courtyard that was very relaxed and casual), I was frantically trying to get about 3 projects out the door as the owners and the rest of the employees were sitting outside 20 feet from me, laughing; knocking back a few cold ones and playing Cornhole.
    I have a different perspective today than I did when I owned my own company. Being an owner can be a ball and chain around your neck, or can be a more freeing experience, depending how the deck is stacked. I doubt seriously that Donald Trump or Bill Gates will be the last ones out of their offices before the holiday.

    ReplyDelete