Thursday, November 18, 2010

Broken Rod

Some time ago I was 4 wheeling in the Gila River. I had my gps stuck in the door pocket through the window. Typical carry method in order to stay fixed. I went through a dip and all of a sudden something landed on the roof. So I say WTF was that and look up and saw that my rod had snapped right where the pin holds the height and my GPS head had gone crashing to the roof.
Now I am thinking to myself, wow that was lucky it landed on the roof and cushioned the fall although it did kill the DC cable.
So as I sat there performing field surgery I started thinking back to the days of 3 years ago when there were multiple crew's running and I never really paid attention to how the equipment was being handled and when I did I usually bitched about something.
Point being employees for the most part could care less about the expense a broken piece of equipment will bring. After all, they are unaware of what a bottom line is and are there to collect a check.
Life has gotten simple without a bunch of employees although the revenue is less.

2 comments:

  1. that is funny... I was blasting on the quad up the river for a mapping photopanel job up the river NW of Gila bend... I ended up launching off a dip in the sand and dropped about 12 feet and my gps pole (leica) which is thin aluminum snapped in half and the head came whipping around on the antenna wire.... I was awsome that I was not thrown off the quad and I recovered everything in good working order!

    The fun things we do in the field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when driving your pickup - use one of these rod-holders to keep lock as you drive:
    http://www.bbsoutrigger.com/t2/gal5.html
    we have one, and it works just fine. we like it better than the door-mounted holders from Seco, and a whole lot cheaper. just remember that the rods themselves aren't made for serious abuse.

    ReplyDelete