Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Professional Courtesy

OK, below is a copy of an email that received from a blog follower. I liked what he has to say. While he speaks in generalities it touches again on what I have been saying about everyone has a different view and perception of things and takes action accordingly.

It also goes along with the topic of the week.

"Professional Courtesy is that which is provided to others in the same profession
by compliance with, and to, the established and published standards within the
profession.  By an act of non-compliance, such as not recording, not stamping
monuments, not registering as a BTR firm, the non-compliant are giving
other professionals the big fat middle finger.  My sense of professional courtesy is
bent when I have to spend time writing letters to a client and having them sign the
waiver so I can layout a wall or building referenced to boundary monuments that
some jack ass has set in secret and as such can remove or move just as quickly
after I have offset the wall or building.  When I go to use a GDACS monument and
find a new monument not of record, set by some construction project. Where is the
professional courtesy when I am in the street placing my number on the monument
and spending my hard earned money on mylar and recording fees to maintain
compliance? Where is the professional courtesy when a high profile project such
as the light rail project has little regard for professional standards and compliance
there with.  I loose work, money, and time to the professionals out there giving me
the middle finger courtesy.  Based on your blog on losing work to the low bidder,
you are receiving the same courtesy.

So, follow your professional courtesy and pick up the phone and call the latest
surveyor for the intersection of McClintock and Apache Trail sectional monument.
See if his professional courtesy fits your need?  Of course, first drive to the
intersection and look at the monument(s).  I have offered to have other
surveyors meet me in the field to solve professional courtesy issues.  Name
a Saturday, a place and I will be there.  This offer
has been on the table to all, for quite some time.  The survey “code of blue” has no use
in land surveying and does not serve to protect the public, it only serves to protect
bad surveyors and makes our profession look bad.  Get over yourself and think
about the public you serve and not bad surveyors who don’t provide professional
courtesy with compliance with basic minimum standards of care.

Thanks for your blog, but remember your not Paul Harvey and you don’t know
the “rest of the story”.

I think this is a valid thought and point of view. He points out that there are 2 sides to every story and he is right.

OK, this post is the last I am going to do on this sort of topic for a bit. This has been a depressing week. I have to say that I am a little disappointed more of you did not post comments about the mess mentioned in my "Say it isn't so/Baffled" post.

But on the bright side I actually received a personal email from a follower with this post.

Tomorrow I am going to change it up, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment