Monday, November 15, 2010

Say it isn't so!!!!/Baffled????

Alright is blog time. I was going to do fun this week but something I think is very strange has come up and I am sure it will warrant a lot of opinion.

I was busy the last few days and just noticed this comment that someone posted on my BTR Rule 7 post on 11/10/10. Please re-read original post if you need to.


Please read: Comment posted by anonymous

“I was a party to the group turned in by one  surveyor (7-9) in one month...... He actually contacted me after he turned me in and wanted me to surrended MY AND ALL INFORMATION I CAME ACCROSS IN THE PAST YEARS WHICH COULD BE TURNED INTO A COMPLAIN so he could turn them all in. What do you think of that?!

I am totally miffed. And I do not know if other surveyors fed him any information for his turn in.... He told me.... " I don’t turn in everyone,  just ten for now, rest assured I have another 30 or 40 sitting here on my desk.

Do you have time to sit down with me and approach these 30 to 40 situations?"

It seems to me somone is going to turn in a record number of complains in the near future....

What does anyone have to say about this stuff.... Do you want to know who is behind it? There is MORE than one.”



What I have to say about this is, WTF??? Really? Really?????

I sincerely hope that this is false.

I hope that this is a pissed off conspiracy freak using this blog to spout shit.

I have some major concerns about this if it is true.

First on the part of the possible implicated parties. If you are about to be turned in, pull your head out of your ass and go by the book, no more short cuts, if you are on this list you probably deserve it, so re-examine how you have been doing things. The book and rules are there for a reason, use them.

Now for the people that are compiling this list (if this is true). Are you out of your mind????

Take good care on this one. If this is true and you are going follow through with it, know this.

Fact:  You are going to be a target for the rest of your career.
Fact:  If you ever become un-employed from your current position you will have a hard time getting a job.
Fact:  You will be served with countless defamation of character lawsuits amongst others.
Fact:  You will be scrutinized to no end by surveyors, attorneys and most likely the board.
Fact:  This will create years of animosity and set this profession further back than it already is.

The list of facts is endless and I can see all cons and no pros.

So… Since I am unaware of all the facts of this particular item I will say this (there are 2 sides to everything).

If this is a true thing I will ask the ones making lists to seriously re-think this action. An action of this magnitude will only harm this profession. So please use your good common sense.

I understand that everyone has a different motivation and perception of things, but one thing stands true. The only way to improve a circumstance or profession is through diplomacy and forward thinking.

This accusation is the opposite of that.

A witch hunt is far from the answer.

As professional I believe that I am supposed to help my colleagues fix mistakes (if they are willing). This is my opinion. It is much easier to get people on board with direct honesty as opposed to full on attack.

Bottom line, there are good surveyors and bad surveyors. There are more good than bad and like everything else in this world the small majority of the bad stand out. Unfortunate? Yes.

If this is a true thing, I say let it go and move forward. If you find any violations on these people in the future do what you have to do, but leave the past behind.

History proves that the bad ones always weed themselves out. Besides, we need bad surveyors and ones that make mistakes to keep us all in check.

I have made a lot of mistakes and personally learn more from them than my greatest accomplishments.

Once again I sincerely hope that this is false.

Below is a comment from another anonymous surveyor. I like what he has to say because I am personally way too busy to police my colleagues, I barely have time for lunch. Also he is just plain correct.



Please read: Comment posted by anonymous


“Sounds to me like there is a surveyor out there that needs to concentrate on surveying rather than being a PI. Turning someone in that needs to be turned in is ok...... running around being a nark in a down market is unprofessional!

Trying to work through our differences rather than just turning each other in is what we should be doing! Surveyors often complain about not being treated and paid like professionals well this is why. Start communicating with each other to RESOLVE problems instead of treating every other surveyor like he is an idiot! We create more problems for our profession when we do this. Or you can just keep thinking that you are the only surveyor out there that knows how to survey and the rest of us are the idiots.... what ever makes you feel good.

Just remember....... it's not if you make a mistake it's what you do about it when it's brought to your attention.”

2 comments:

  1. I think your outline John with your comment about the surveyors being turned in to the board...

    You said;
    “First on the part of the possible implicated parties. If you are about to be turned in, pull your head out of your ass and go by the book, no more short cuts, if you are on this list you probably deserve it, so re-examine how you have been doing things. The book and rules are there for a reason, use them."

    Your comment is pretty attacking considering you don’t know the facts of their situations. This would fall under my “treating every other surveyor like he is an idiot” comment I previously made. I recall you starting this blog with you yourself being taken to the board. That’s pretty bad when you rip on others that find themselves in the same situation that you have once been in. Do as I say not as I do??

    I like that you’re willing to put yourself out there with some controversial topics but lets remember this blog is out there for all to see. Lets be professional and show good leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not a false statement. This surveyor compiling a list has one. The funny thing is I have looked up many of his surveys which he has recorded and they are ALL DEFICIENT. I am not ready to report their recordation numbers because it will expose his posterior to sunlight. He has recorded complete stick figure drawings with not one single bearing and distance (recorded, measured, or calculeted) or curve data or anything. Yet he e-mails me and REDLINES my recordations for said missing information. He reports only that his basis of bearings is the same as the "plat of record" and that all monuments set agree with prior recorded plat. - THAT AINT A SURVEY TO ME....

    Looking back at all this data makes me sick. Here is a "nare-do-well construction staker" taking on the role of the "Survey AND Recordation Police of Arizona" against ALL of us.

    YOU MAY BE IN HIS SIGHTS.

    Many of the surveyors turned in by this "NARC" (as John put it) have discussed their concerns with me as to the integrity of his prior recordations but refuse to turn him in to the board. (the "NARC" that is)

    This surveyor has also chastized me for not turning in more than I have.

    Yet when I discuss situations with him and provide him with written contractual proof of surveyors he respects who have commited attrocities he refuses to turn them in. So WHO IS THE POT AND WHO IS THE KETTLE????? So is it only the mild mannered private surveyor that gets fed into the wood chiper by this "NARC"? Or can we feed some big fish into the proverbial wood chipper? I for one want to see the big fish fed in first! Then I Would like to see this "NARC" fed into the perverbial chipper next.

    I would like to hear comments and see if any one (or how many) would like to have this "NARC" Exposed.....

    ReplyDelete