Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Results of Survey

Let me start out by saying that the requirements for a “Results of Survey” as set forth by the BTR are pretty awesome.
I believe that it makes the surveyor more responsible for his actions and procedures and holds him absolutely accountable and therefore increasing a professional attitude.
I love the fact that more survey information is available to me on the internet therefore making our research efforts easier (in certain counties that is), giving us a better taste test comparison between surveys etc.
Now I am going to throw out a problem and that problem is cost.
Note: Every job is different and has a unique set of circumstance (a cool thing about surveying), so I want to use a basic stereo type for this post.
Example:  We are hired by someone that is only interested in seeing where their corners are, they could care less about a map, public records, law etc. they only want to see the position of the monuments on the ground for who knows what, a new wall, shrubs, the possibilities are endless.
We being the good surveyors that we are go out and discover that an ROS is required according to the BTR. We explain to our client that we have to file a map in order to up hold standards put upon us.
Note: When presenting a client with a scope of service I clearly state that if an ROS is required per BTR standards $XXX will be added to the cost for mapping, filing fees etc.
The client knowing everything up front finds out that this has to happen and tells you straight out that they do not need it, it does them absolutely no good and they are not going to pay for it.
So here we have our dilemma. In today’s climate we as surveyors have given the client the privilege of choosing by price which to our detriment has made things really tough on the bottom line (profit) of any project.
Now I am going to tell you that I agree with the client. 90% of the time an ROS is a useless piece of paper to a client and they most likely feel robbed because they had to pay for.  
In my opinion this hurts future business referrals and the client will only remember how expensive it was, not the fantastic customer service they received. (People are prone to remember the negative first).
It’s hard enough to even get a project because of all the people out there willing to pay for work (to be discussed at a later date), but how do we as surveyors convince a client that an ROS is good and beneficial when most of the time the only thing it helps is public records and of course standards and other surveyors.
As a business man the most important thing to me is the bottom line on my Profit and Loss statement at the end of the month.
These rules that I have to adhere to as noted earlier are awesome, however if I am to follow them exactly do I have to reach into my own pocket and foot the bill for an ROS or turn a 1% profit on a job or just cover labor?
Where do we draw the line? Do we just say to hell with it and say that we found everything, it checks well and no map is needed? Do we just eat the cost in the name of standards?
I really want to know what you all think about this. I want to hear from every sector. This topic will carry a lot of opinions so please share.

Also I just discovered that you can post as anonymous. Figuring out the whole blog thing has been fun:)

6 comments:

  1. "Do we just say to hell with it and say that we found everything, it checks well and no map is needed?"

    Would this not be falsifying your work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! Now that's what I am talking about.
    Great challenge!
    I fully think it would be falsifying. That's where the problem comes in.
    As surveyors in private practice where is the line drawn. Should we actually pay out of our own pockets to uphold standards?

    ReplyDelete
  3. there's a code of conduct we all need to adhere to as registered professional land surveyors.
    it's unfortunate that it's not understood by the general public.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well put. Yes it is unfortunate.
    Great comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always price my surveys based upon the number of hours that it will take to do the job. My hourly rates are based upon my overhead which includes all operating costs (e.g. labor, taxes, matching, insurance, fuel, monthly debt service, maintenance)and 20% profit.

    I always give my clients a fixed bid if requested, and if I leave out something or need to do something which I didn't say I was going to do, I do it anyway (I think this is called integrity). You win some you lose some, but it all averages out in the end. Right?

    Not always, on one occasion I discovered that in order to complete a survey, I needed to survey two of the neighbor's properties as well. I proceeded to do what was needed, and I completed the survey. I wrote the client a letter when I was finished, and I included the finished Results of Survey and Report of Survey with the letter.

    The letter stated that I had bid the job for a fixed fee, and that I would honor that fee. But the letter went on to explain all that I had done and how many hours it had taken. I explained how this exceeded my original scope and why the additional work needed to be done. I asked the client to consider what I had done, the product received, and the number of hours which I had spent in excess of the fixed bid, and that he pay me what he thought the product was worth.

    He paid all of my time, and then he referred his neighbors to me when it was time for them to survey their property.

    This taught me to never be afraid to ask for what you want. Just be careful how you ask.

    I will agree that this is not the norm, but put yourself in the client’s shoes. He is coming to you “The Professional”. He is asking you for a fixed quote. Either you give him one or you don’t. If you don’t feel comfortable with it, then don’t. But don’t trick the client by saying that if this situation is encountered, then the price will go up and then expect him to pay your expenses to date.

    I agree you can't foresee all of the problems, but you can foresee what might be and prepare your bid for the worst case. I would never prepare a fixed fee quote based upon a best case scenario. That's insane.

    Soon the clients will flock to you because they will realize that you are honest, and they will wish that they had used you in the beginning.

    That' my 2cents.

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Typically I include the mylar and recordation fee in my contracts. I do not give the client a chance to say "I don't want that". I simply tell them that it is a requirement, if they ask.... My conract line is,

    "The results-of-survey to be drafted on a 24 x 36 inch sheet in CADD at an approximate scale (not to exceed 1”=400’). Two black lines, one Mylar (to be recorded and retained by the county) and recordation fee will be included in the contract price."

    I have to make a drawing for the client so I just use the base file as a ROS drawing. It really does not take that much extra time and the mylar is not really that expensive.

    One thing I have noticed lately is that more surveys I do now have all the corners identified than not. A few years ago the contrary was true.

    ReplyDelete