Thursday, October 28, 2010

Board Review Committee

OK, back in 2006 I made a mistake on a job and informed a client that his legal description was messed up and he needed to seek the advice of a good land attorney in order to resolve the issue. Probably a quiet title action.
I sent him an invoice for time in. (Yes I did consult 3 other surveyors)

In the mean time my company did another job for the same guy.

Well, he never paid for either project so I sued him. It was a lot of money and I hate being stiffed.
So he retains another surveyor who promptly finds our mistake. He counter sues and turns me into the board. Needless to say the whole thing has been a costly mess.

I go in for my review and am sitting there looking at 4 of my peers. A woolly biker looking fella who I could tell had been around the block a million times, an amiable Aussie, a pale guy who looked as though he had been stuck in a basement computer room for the last 30 years and an over zealous government guy.

After a few minutes of bickering with these guys I figure out that I am wrong and majorly screwed so I argue a little more on principal then throw up my hands and ask what they want to do.

Due to my agreeable nature we got out of there pretty quick and I left with only 4 counts of the original 10 filed against me. A win-win in my book.

I ate a fine and filed an amended survey. (I should be in an upcoming quarterly board newsletter)

I am wondering what makes a guy decide to sit on a committee like this. I compare them to an internal affairs cop. A thankless job.

Everyone has a different motivation albeit to improve standards, ego, boredom etc.

Bottom line is that these 4 guys are hero's.

So lets give them big applause for doing a job that most never want to do and those that appear before them will resent.

In my opinion they make our profession much better.

I know where I never want to go again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment