Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Stupid things an employer has to put up with Volume 2

Ever have to fire a guy when he was on the ground in hand cuffs? I have.
This little story is about a guy named DG and a guy named Jorge (pseudonyms).
I’ll start with DG. DG was a horrible employee that was a total drunk and was in the middle of a bad divorce, that literally was consumed by this woman. She was such a distraction for him that he would lose all faculties, argue with her and then (I later found out) destroy equipment.
He was on the verge of being let go when I decided to team him with Jorge for a couple of days while decided what to do.
Needless to say this was a real disaster.
A little about Jorge.  Jorge was a decent employee and pretty good surveyor with lots of potential, however it turns out that he was a tweaker from hell and was convinced that everyone was sleeping with his girlfriend.
On that incredibly strange day that these two spent together Jorge decided that DG was sleeping with his girlfriend and about halfway through the day whipped out a gun and proceeded to interrogate DG at length about this imagined affair.
DG managed to get far enough away from Jorge to place a frantic call to the office. Upon hearing what was happening I got Jorge on his phone and talked the gun out of his hand into the back of the truck, calmed him down to an amiable state and asked if he would let DG bring him back to the office. He agreed but insisted that he would drive even though he had no license. I thought about the big picture and agreed. DG was ok with it to.
Right after I hung up we called the cops and they were waiting when they got to the office. When the truck pulled up Jorge became enraged and sped off down the street. 1 cop car followed but he only circled the block and parked behind the office. He got out and the cops took him down.
I walked out the back door and looked right into his crazy eyes and said “you know that you are so fired right?”
A few mornings later he and his girlfriend were waiting when I got to the office. He approached and asked if he could look in the truck for something and I told him no but he could get his tool bag from behind the office. He became agitated and I figured he was looking for drugs that he stashed before he let the cops have him so I told him that it was gone. Strangely he accepted that and I never saw him again.
If you are wondering what happened to DG I canned him shortly after for being a shitty surveyor. I can tolerate certain things, but he was just bad at his job even though he had a great resume and references.
About 3 months later one of my guys found a bag with about ¼ ounce of crystal meth in it. Jorge must have jammed that thing somewhere good because we searched that truck really well after the incident.
Crazy people!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment