Sunday, March 4, 2012

Roof Top

One of the things that I genuinely love about surveying is the stuff we get to see and do.

Unless you are a construction monkey every job is different.

I personally take something new away from every job.

So there I am last week in Tucson at U of A breaking down a block that the Marriott sits on.

First I have to tell you that the ground view at that college is fantastic. It took me back to a much simpler and more intoxicated time in my life where the only things that were important was beer and girls. Oh yeah!!!

Flashing to present day I was surveying the block and getting ready to go on the Marriott's roof.

All was going well thanks to AZ Cors and the Pima County GIS site. I had my control and was ready.

I got up on the roof just in time for AZ Cors to take a dump due to Leica maintenance so I had to go to plan B which was go back down and set up the base.

Upon doing so I proceeded to have the crappiest GPS day I have had in years. I got tied into the ground control, went back up on that roof and what should have taken 20 minutes took 2 hours.

I was in hell. There I am above everything with a wide open sky with the wackiest constellation I have ever seen. Ugh!!

Every shot seemed to take forever so I went to plan C. I made a detailed sketch, measured everything up and shot the bare minimum.

When I got off that roof and walked outside the first thing I saw was a beautiful girl and all that BS frustration instantly left. I even got a smile out of her :)

Life can be good in the field even when the technology hands you a pile of shit. It's remarkable what a pretty face will do to my mind.

2 comments:

  1. Look at that smile on your face! Thank God for rule number 1 (what’s said in the truck stays in the truck – for all you greenhorns) or you’d be grounded…

    Boys and Girls, remember what John said a year or so back??? – That’s right, the well versed Surveyor knows many, many ways to accomplish any given task – and you have to be able to switch gears “on the fly”. I digress… what are the odds…

    I don’t know about the rest of you guys out there, (and I would love additional feedback from our “community”) but it seems as of late, I too have been having a terrible time with the “birds”. Even with 10, I’m floating, can’t get a shot out in the open. Now go under a tree “Fixed” [PDOP great, precision +/- 0.02’] – I don’t get it. Also, I personally have been having 2 and 3 birds stacked on top of each other.

    I don’t know why but it also seems like some of the constellation has been moving faster than usual.

    Anyway, additional input from people smarter than I would be great. As of late, I feel more productive with my robot…

    “Peace – Out”

    ReplyDelete