Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pain

There other night I had to stand in a public forum and explain why I am professionally qualified to sit on a board.

I wrote up my pitch and thought about it and went over it for a few days.

I got there, had it all memorized right down to my delivery. I had it stuck in my head that they were going to love me and I was going to waltz right on to that board.

When I arrived there were some people in front of me and they seemed rather calm and did a great job although they were very dull.

It was my turn and when I got up there and looked at that panel and it all went away, I forgot everything that I was going to say. I was a deer in the head lights so I did what I thought was best, took a step back and punted.

I babbled for about a minute and a half and then froze. Every thought I once had again left my brain. I looked at the panel and said "that's it" and threw my hands up palms facing them and said "frozen", I smiled and said thank you.

Then came the part that I got pissed off about. The person that nominated asked me if I realized that a certain qualification was required to sit on this particular board. I was a little dismayed and wanted to remind the person that they gave me the nomination, but instead I respectfully stumbled through an answer.

If you ever want to have a humbling experience try this. You will get an adrenaline rush that is out of this world that will last you for days. I still get butterflies in my gut when I think about this.

Oh, no I did not get appointed.

A little humility goes a long way, especially when you tube it in public.

Ha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment