Sunday, March 11, 2012

Auto Topo

The other day I was out in the Rio Verde area doing a Boundary-Topo job.

I have done work in that section before and once again thanks to GDAC and it's interactive map with points and some solid surveys I was calc'd and ready to go when I got there.

Since I am a diligent monkey I went around the 1/4 section and established my measured data. The center of section was there and checked as shown on some other surveys, so I accepted it.

I proceeded to search for the lot monuments and found them all and they checked well, so now they all have nice new LS caps on them in the color of blue which is what I have always used. However when they are gone I am going to go 100% with brass and aluminum tags.

I then started the topo. I walked the lot and located all of the vegetation and dirt roads. There were no definitive washes so no need for cross sections.

After I was finished with all of that I went back to the truck and pulled the gps off of the rod and put it on a back pack that I rigged with a pvc cage to hold a small rod in place. I got everything hooked up, changed my HR and went into auto topo mode. I proceeded to walk the lot and take about 1700 shots on top of the already collected info.

This took about an hour. 1700 seems like a lot of shots but this was a 3 acre parcel and I had the DC set at 3 second intervals.

I am a huge believer that it is easier to take points out of a drawing than have to go back and get more.

Now hear is the best part about this job. Field time with travel 5.5 hours. I accomplished this because of my pre-job research and calc's and because of technology.

The office time took quite a while because I had re-calc the boundary to my measured section which actually brought the lot monuments in better and had to prepare 2 drawings, a topo and and ROS which I will file in the next month or so when I get a few stacked up. I always wait to get a few to save on the fuel cost and trip time.

I have spoken many times about how technology has enhanced out lives and made it easier to turn a profit on a job. I has also allowed me to increase my level of customer service, get things done quicker with more data and turn out a very professional looking product that I can be proud of.

Go technology!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, did you know that Maricopa County has digital recording? You can send them a pdf of your survey and get it recorded. Save on the gas and time. The trick is getting the survey in a pdf format with your signature. The easiest way it to trace your signature in CAD program. I don't know about the legality of it though. In addition, one might not feel comfortable regard the security. The sure fire method is to plot it, sign it and scan it. But you would need a full size scanner ($$). It might pay for itself in time and gas though. Keep up the good work!
    Brian Dalager

    ReplyDelete