Sunday, March 25, 2012

Evolution

In order to stay on top of the game we as professionals must change.

There has been a lot of trepidation about the new board rules that are impending.

I am going to tell you right now that I disagree with some of them and some of the changes being suggested are good.

I have said this many times before. Small companies record more doc's and file more maps than anyone.

This is a major problem, in that I personally see very little participation from the small guys. (I could be wrong).

I will tell you now that if I had time I would be right there in peoples faces bitching about a few things and trying to make things it right for all. Unfortunately time is one thing I am very short on.

This is something I feel very bad about. While I know very few of you, I think that I would like to make things better, even if I dislike you, you still deserve good things because we share the survey profession.

While my hands are tied on time and I am sure that other small companies are in the same boat I would like to hear some suggestions from small guys.

Yes we do need to progress our standards as time moves forward.

Bottom line boys and girls, the change is here. Just roll it with and bone up on the wording in your contracts to cover your ass. And just follow the rules.

In time we will all adapt to whatever rules are passed. It's kind of like getting a new software or taking on a new car payment. You just kind of grow into it.

Peace out surveyors, it's gonna be a crazy week. Have fun and be safe!!

5 comments:

  1. I seem to notice a little different Evolution blog than the one I believe I read the other day. I also notice that the one comment I did read is missing while looking for additional comments. I like hearing from other Professionals regarding whatever the topic of the day may be.

    There are parts of both the blog & the previous comment I agree with.

    I would like to ask, have these new rules been totally taken effect or are they being put out for additional comments, questions, suggestions, etc. ?

    I have been a member of APLS for decades, but cannot make even 10% of the meetings and seminars I would like. I personally need to do a better job of being involved in the Land Surveying Profession & Community.

    If the new rules have not been adopted, I would love to be able to join the next meeting in which additional discussions are taking place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I changed it due to the fact that someone pointed out that I was incorrect about some of my comments. I thought it over and decided that the guy was correct.
    Normally I would nver change anything because I like contoversy, however in this case I made an exception.
    I whacked his comment because it would coincide with nothing.
    Thanks for your post. I really appreciate it. I wish more people would participate.
    I believe the rules are set to take effect in 2014. (better check, I have been wrong lots of times)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read the proposed Standards and compared them to the current standards. The biggest change I see is the addition of the topo standards. The other is change is language that clears up some "grey areas" as perceived by some. I personally am not threatened by them. I am looking forward to the the APLS conference to here the debate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, are going to be at the APLS conference to "hear" the debate???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who's doing the debate? Sounds kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete