Sunday, February 26, 2012

Again???

OK. It happened again. I got beat on a job. Big deal right? Win some, lose some.

This time it is epic.

Friday I received a call from a person requesting a price to do a Lot Assemblage in Scottsdale.

Considering this is where my camp is I've done a few here.

I did my diligent research and proceeded to write up a proposal. I gave a price of 2520 to do the platting which is very reasonable considering Scottsdale is always a 3 time submittal and usually asks for some things that others do not.

(Note: I always put a clause in my scope that says the client is responsible for submittal's and meetings and if they want me to do it, it is my RLS hourly rate and I usually get the project with the hourly because they don't want to deal with the city.)

Scottsdale also requires an ALTA be submitted so I worked in a cost of 1500 for the ALTA which enabled me to give the awesome price for the assemblage.

I promptly sent it off and Saturday I received this message from the person.


"weird I have gotten quotes all the way down to $550 for a combing the 2 lots-- I do have a current ALTA that is 4 months old?  So I guess I'll just go with the quote that was $550.00"

Upon seeing this I was actually relieved. You ever have that gut feeling that tells you to run from a project?
I was also a little confused and massively amused.
I wanted to call them and explain that they are setting themselves up for a very bad experience but then thought to hell with it, let them find out on their own.
I feel confident that they misconstrued the other surveyors scope unless the other surveyor is a complete moron.
Today I am the luckiest guy alive because I lost a project that was priced professionally. On the lower side of professional truth be told.
Peace out and have a great week surveyors.
It's getting psycho busy out there!!!!


1 comment:

  1. “Gang” – Like John, I have also done a few “Lot Assemblage’s” in Scottsdale and personally, I would rather create a Condominium Plat. First, a 4 month old ALTA will not fly with Scottsdale. They will also want a title report that is no later than 2 weeks old (if memory serves) and this holds true through the review process – so be prepared for continuous updates.

    Whoever created this proposal for $550.00 is either at desperations door, or has no clue what he is in for. I would assume the “latter”. He is also going to give the Profession a bad name due to his obvious lack of knowledge – which I feel is the worst part.

    I personally would be following up with one last phone call just to make sure this possible client knows he and his surveyor are in for quite the rude awakening. Additionally letting him know that the ALTA he has on hand will have to be updated (and I would also assume this was performed by another surveyor – who is hopefully still around) so he needs to be in touch with him for these continuous updates, or be prepared to start the whole process over – which would obviously NOT be in the contract. He is looking at more “EXTRA’S” than John’s original complete proposal.

    We’ve all seen it a million times and like John, it frustrates me to no end. The other half of me says “550 bucks eh… I wish you the best”…

    ReplyDelete