Monday, January 31, 2011

Why are we surveyors???

Why are we surveyors? I often ask myself that question.
As a business owner I carry a significantly higher amount of liability than the big company project guy or a government employee.
While there are plenty of positive reasons to be a surveyor below are a few on the negative side.
*Surveyors are often looked down upon by other professionals such as engineers.
*We are the first ones to have the finger pointed at when something has gone wrong on a job site and have trouble defending ourselves because no one understands what we do.
*We are generally expected to be clients babysitters.
*Some surveyors put themselves in a position of extreme liability without even knowing it.
*Our services are rarely appreciated.
*Our peers under value themselves therefore driving fees into the ground.
*Big companies rent a crew out for next to nothing and make up the cash flow on engineering.
*Because of the stuff listed above, in order to survive we are unable to charge what we are worth.
*Unfortunately this list goes on and on and all of it is our fault.
Let’s face it; our product is one of the most non-desired out any service based business out there.
When was the last time you were at a party and you over heard someone saying how they just got a great deal on a land survey, or hey I just got some extra money, I am going to get a land survey, screw the flat screen or how many of you told yourself when you were kids “wow when I grow up I want to be a land surveyor”?
I have learned throughout the years that the way to make money is to concentrate on quality and service. Focusing on money causes one to lose money.
I am a firm believer that as a business man I must give a person more value for their dollar than what they paid.
Now here comes the big question: How in the bloody hell do I do that when the client is actually resentful of the idea of having to retain me?
I guess what I am trying to say is, that we are in a business that if anyone could live without it, they would drop us like a hot rock.
Now I will tell you why I am a land surveyor.
I am a land surveyor because I walked out of school and went to work as a chainman. I did that for about a year then moved up to the T2 and the distance meter. I was a crew chief by 23. I have always been a little ahead of the game in that I watched all of my friends and acquaintances struggling with bad jobs and never make any money. Frankly I hated the idea of living like them and liked that I always did better.
In hindsight I do wish that when I was younger I had tried the struggle of my friends and experienced different things.  I could have always come back.
Now here I am 26 years later, I own my company and I have gone as high as I can go in this profession. There is nothing else unless I go into the politics of it and that will never happen. Maybe academics??
I have started and been involved in several companies outside of surveying, some have done well, others have tanked. I am in the process of putting together 2 more companies as you read this.
I have been saying it for years and I will say it again. Land surveying is a great job if you are worker bee but a lousy business.
All that said, while I am in this particular business I intend to work my ass off to help make things better for the independent surveyor, the small business owner. You are the ones that have to eat the most shit and it is time to stop.
I will be discussing this matter in detail starting this week.

7 comments:

  1. Throughout history the land surveyor in many communities was one of the most respected individuals in town. I can only relay my experience:

    I am in a small town that occupies a valley that actually holds 2 small towns within it. My father and myself have been practicing here for the last 40 years. Everyone in town knows us and most value and seek our opinion on land issues. We are not always busy. However we always make time to "babysit our clients". The perceived value in a survey to a client is not in the presentation of the plat or monuments. It is found when you take care of problems that the title company finds. Forewarn them of possible issues if they proceed with a bad plan. Handle the title company and or attorneys for them. Do the paperwork for them.

    It is always the little things. Clients can't read plats (for the most part); and don't know why the "bars are set there". So it is the overall service experience that you give them that garners respect and recommendations.

    Sometimes clients get turned off by presentation. If you come driving up in a pretty truck with brand new equipment, do the job and hand them a bill; it don't matter if the invoice was for a $1. The perception is that they are paying for your pretty stuff. And they resent it. Humility is also key. If you have to tell people you are smart; they perceive you to be ignorant and insecure.

    just some thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. n response to both John & Daniel’s comments, I agree with portions, and also have mixed emotions about parts. Personally, I have always taken pride in having a well organized Survey “Rig”. I’ve worked with other Surveyors who’s truck was an absolute C.F. and I was personally embarrassed when I arrived on any Job / Project site. On the other hand, when you arrive “onsite” and everything is neat & organized, and it doesn’t take you half an hour to find a prism pole with a floppy ass mirror, in my opinion, it shows you know what you’re doing, are well organized, and have the proper equipment to perform the High Accuracy Land Survey that is expected of you. Side note: I’ve had painters come to my house in a Cadillac Escalade and was very impressed. Maybe it’s just me, but it didn’t bug me a bit – and yes, I am helping to pay for it – no problemo…

    I’ve been to dozens of courses, seminars and the like, and I’ve often heard “we need to inform the public” about what we do, our skills, knowledge, the technology we use, and on and on. From a general point of view, they could typically care less, unless they deal with Surveyors on a regular basis and/or find themselves in need of one. I also agree with John, in that, hiring a Land Surveyor is like going to the dentist. You don’t just wake up in the morning and say “Hey, I think I’ll find a Surveyor today”. People hire us because they are (generally) forced to – and they don’t (generally) like it.

    Babysitting clients – well, it’s just part of the deal in my opinion. Unless you’re dealing with Civil Engineers, Architects, Developers and the like, I guarantee they are looking for (and need) your help and guidance. Personally, I am used to it – but John is also correct in that we are also inviting more liability along the way.

    Now, I am going to piss off some people, but F.I. – Surveyors being looked down upon, sadly – for a large part, I do agree. However, I don’t know all the reasons why. As far as Civil Engineers – take your attitude and shove it up your worthless freaken ass. And I ain’t hardly bullshiting. Personally, I (we) are more of a Civil Engineer than half of you fuck-sticks. We also know that Architects are “a dime a dozen” – and by the way, your building does NOT “close” and your elevator shaft and the fire riser location as shown on your fancy ass plans is in the wrong location – asshole.

    I would love to see an absolutely mandatory – State Statute – that forces ALL General Contractors and ALL of their Superintendents (Stupidintendants as I call them) to attend multiple Land Surveying seminars and or courses just so they have a clear understanding of the Professionalism, the Ethics, the knowledge, the Law, and a million other things we have to know to make absolutely sure that their project goes together correctly – 3 Dimensionally. Why are we continually taking “back-charges” shoved up our ass because “Poco” doesn’t read, write, or speak English – even though our cut sheets shows exactly where we set our points, the design grades, the elevation of the point, how accurately it was set, and the cut – or – fill? – Oh, I remember, “we have this other project fixin to start up and we really want you guys to take care of our Surveying for us” – ya, hey – FUCK YOU! We’re going to court you piece of Rat Shit…and you ain’t getting your As-Builts neither – asshole.

    Looked down upon, maybe. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I have “heard” that when a Surveyor shows up on a jobsite in Canada – He’s (sometimes) in a suite & tie. Now, me, NOT, but showing up in flip-flops, shorts and a “wife beater” T-Shirt doesn’t help either. We need to “Band Together” and turn this misrepresentation around – and (sorry – but) the A.P.L.S. is NOT “it”. – Now there’s another sore ass subject…

    I do hope you all realize I feel I am “in the truck”…and I apologize for going off there for a wee bit – but it is – ever so frustrating...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dammit - "the very First "I" did not get copied accross in my previous comment - sorry"..

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Anonymous, that's funny right there, I don't care who you are. Get R Done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if APLS is NOT IT. Then we need to band together and take it over; and make it want we want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the information regarding surveyors,Land surveyors are primarily concerned with land features and water boundaries.Land surveyors evaluate the surface of the earth in order to establish the exact site of elevations, lines and contours for the purpose of construction, cartography and other endeavors.

    ReplyDelete