Monday, January 24, 2011

Politics


First a brilliant post from earlier today. Thank you anonymous. You are one awesome person!! I am going to print this and leave it next to my monitor.


"We need to treat our fellow Land Surveyors as peers and not competition. When that paradigm shift happens the communication follows. This is not about pride, honor, riches, or faith, individually. It is about professionalism. One bad example taints us all. We must rise to the occasion; or we will surely fail."



Now this:

 
I am going to tip my hat to all of you guys that are involved in the politics of Arizona Land Surveying.

On top of trying to survive in the current economic condition you are out there working for us (hopefully). In reality being slow does give one more time for such things.

I am having a hard time deciding if you are gluttons for punishment or have a strong stomach. I personally think glutton.

If you genuinely want to improve things for us then I have respect for you.

If you have a partisan personal agenda you can shove that up your ass.

As stated earlier today this will be the last political post and the post below this will be the last super controversial post.

I love some controversy as it grabs viewers, but screw that.  

This stuff is way too heavy for me in that I stopped thinking on a technical level years ago and now I only think on a business level.

I have learned a lot about the political structure in the last few months and I am of the opinion that there are more like minded than opposed minded in our profession. At least the eternal optimist keeps me thinking that.

From here on I am only going to write about business and surveying and most aspects involved in both. While I do have strong opinions and ideas politics are out.

I hope you will still follow as I am going to be doing a lot of fun stuff. More video, interviews, stories etc.

I also want to encourage all of you to participate, share your opinions and stories. We all have the common ground of surveying and some of us share the business ground. So let’s encourage that common ground and see if we can create some unity and good examples for all.

I will leave this post with the following, below is the Code of Ethics for the Idaho Society of Professional Land Surveyors. This is written by surveyors for surveyors. (FYI only costs $100 a year to belong).

Preamble: The surveyor is to uphold the honor and dignity of the profession and in keeping with high standards of ethical conduct:
  • Will be honest and impartial and serve with devotion his employer, clients, and the public.
  • Will strive to increase the competence and prestige of the surveying profession.
Will use his knowledge and skill for the advancement of human welfare.



  1. The Surveyor shall act for each client or employer as a faithful agent or trustee.
  2. The Surveyor will not accept remuneration other than his agreed charges for services rendered for his clients.
  3. The Surveyor will not pay commissions in negotiating for surveying work, nor solicit work on a contingency basis.
  4. The Surveyor will not attempt to supplant another surveyor after definite steps have been taken towards his employment.
  5. The Surveyor will not compete unfairly with another surveyor by taking advantage of a salaried position.
  6. The Surveyor will not advertise or make public statements in a self-laudatory manner.
  7. The Surveyor will not attempt to injure the reputation, prospects or business of another surveyor.
  8. The Surveyor will not engage in the review of the work of another surveyor for the same client, except with knowledge of said surveyor, unless such services have been terminated.
  9. The Surveyor will not associate in the conduct of surveying with others who do not conform to the basic principles of this code.
  10. The Surveyor will not engage in any practice which will tend to bring discredit or dishonor to the surveying profession.



2 comments:

  1. Personally I like it. APLS should adopt something like this in a timely manner. Then we can discuss adding it to the Minimum Standards.

    It has been my observation. That many of our fellow registrants; whom are perceived as doing sub-par work. Are doing so because they lack support. Who do they turn to when they have a question? Are they intimidated by their peers?

    Well here is a shocker.. They fail because we allow them to. We know who they are and yet we allow the behavior. BTR complaints won't do it. Education will. I don't know why there is a bunch of poaching going on in the valley. However whom ever is doing this needs to realize that are not helping. They are deepening the divide. We have got to start educating our profession. AND YES, some people have to be told to. Education is the key... and it is the only answer no one wants to hear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gentlemen & Women – Joe politically correct here… I have been watching what has been going on in “here” and have written many replies – then deleted them.

    Well, here goes. You will never know how much I personally admire and respect each and every one of you. I personally am very proud of the fact that I too, can call myself a Registered Professional Land Surveyor. It is something that each and every one of you should be very, Very proud of. I would never turn in another Surveyor in to the board unless it was literally the last resort. I literally can’t believe what I have been hearing and reading over the last few months. Is it justified? – Possibly. Not knowing both sides of any story – it is hard to pass judgment. But I will say that (at least) some of the one side of the story I have been told – I have a hard time believing many Registered Professional Land Surveyors are now in the position of either having to pay fines or at the very least explain themselves. As far as “the side of the story” I have been told – I call B.S. I also wonder if the situation were completely reversed – what would be “tone” of the (now) defendant???

    There seems to be a large number of Surveyors being turned into the board, as far as I am aware of. Maybe it has always been this way. I recently read the minutes of the Board and I know “more than one” person on this list – personally – and personally, I think they are really good Surveyors. The first thing that comes to my pee brain is “What is the hidden Agenda” ? – Personal, Business, “Right Fighters”, “I’m a better measurer”???

    Going back a post or two, when is your time frame up? I have been involved in Survey’s in which the City and/or the owners wasted much more time than the rules and reg.’s permit. It’s frustrating. Personally, I have post anal drip about following up. What’s going on? what’s going on? WHAT’S GOING ON!!!!... Anyone ever deal with the City of Scottsdale? – How about the City of Phoenix? – You can lose 60 days in a fat hurry…

    I think some of “us” need to roll up a big “fatty” and order a pizza for God’s sake.

    Remember, the achievement of actually becoming a R.L.S is nothing to sneeze at. Maybe you don’t agree with another R.L.S. Big dang deal. Shoot him a call, go over and show him what you’ve found and your thoughts. If someone found something different than I did – cool – Maybe, just Maybe, I found something you didn’t, which influenced my decision…Hey I got an idea… Let’s chat about it and see if we can come to some common ground. Take a Pill – or in my case, an aspirin :-)

    Like the previous “Anonymous” poster stated – “We need to treat our fellow Land Surveyors as peers”.

    ReplyDelete