Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Future Generations

First I want to thank Mr. Fondren for asking the Topica guy to let me back on and to thank the Topica guy to let me back on. Very cool.
Topica guy, I hereby retract the comments I made about you. It was the wrong thing to do and I can never justify the action, I can only move forward.

I have been watching the back and forth about ethics and communications regarding the BTR.
I will tell you that I agree with Fondren and Epperson the most.
Regarding changing the behavior of surveyors, it is my personal opinion that in order to do so we have to impress upon the young future generations of surveyors the principals in which to adhere to.
Let’s face it. A lot of guys 40 + are completely set in their ways and are unwilling to change for any reason and probably will not.
So let’s take a moment and ask why? Why is because a lot of people of my generation and older lack the ability to be open minded and lack forward thinking, they only care about how they think it should be done and to hell with everyone else.
I personally think that by conducting ourselves as a professional and educating the youngsters in 5-10 years things can be formatted in such a way that most will be happy.
If the young people coming into the job see that it takes a certain amount of education on surveying and ethics to become an RLS it will automatically be passed down and therefore accepted as the norm.
Right now none of us have to do anything except pay our firm branch and license renewal in order to keep our license.
I am personally really bad at professional development therefore I am going to get licensed in Idaho so I have to have credit hours every 2 years. I am literally forcing myself into professional progression.
Arizona has an extremely fragmented survey community that operates on a rogue basis. What we need is some unity and cooperation not only for structure at the BTR but to set a standard for pricing, conduct and appearance and a lot more.
Educating the youngsters is the key. Those of us that are forward thinking and open minded need to lead by example and impress that education.
In this new society it our responsibility to make this profession appeal to the youngsters. If I were a young guy just coming into this job and saw how fragmented it is I would run.
Young people want a structured career that will pay them well where they can advance. What are you doing at your company or organization to make it happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment