Monday, September 26, 2011

The Big Machines

I was visiting a large engineering firm today. It was my first time to this particular outfit. It was very professional and I really liked what I saw.

However instead of being the hustle bustle type place it was constructed to be it was a ghost town.

The Big Machines have slowed way down to.

The thing that I find the most interesting is that companies like this ones client base are the ones that spend most of the money but the smaller companies like mine are busier.

Is this the dawning of a new age of surveying?

Yes I believe it is.

I have been saying for years that big firms will eventually only staff in house RLS that only handle legal and the rest will be done by contract labor.

This is something that is an awesome and sustainable fact for the small survey business. The companies that only handle surveying will grow while the big machines develop into engineering and legal only. They will no longer be the mass production of yesterday but instead will spearhead technology and efficiency.

We are seeing a huge shift in surveying and where the dollars will go. The big guys will always be on top just in a different way and the small guys revenue will grow as they hire surveyors. (Notice how I said surveyor, not staker?)

Yes let's talk staker for the moment. The big contractors will all have their own stakers and will hire out to the big firms for their legal. Asbuilts etc.

I say let them have it all. I love legal stuff.

The new world of surveying is here and it arrived a lot quicker than I anticipated. Be ready boys and girls. This is huge and if you aren't ready you are going to get squashed.

This recession that we are now coming out of is really one of the best things that has happened to Surveying. It has added a corrective measure that will be hard for us to mess up and it has also shot us in a new direction.

Oh yeah!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment