Monday, January 20, 2014

Liability

I have been doing a lot of re-plat's as of late.

I recently ran into an issue in which my client's title company has refused to prepare new deeds based on there being no transaction and then referred him to a deed preparation company, stating that it is to much liability.

Huh?

Now I am the first to shirk any sort of liability but this one has me confused.

I have always been under the impression that is what they do. So if this is what they do then what is the issue?

What exactly is happening out there that companies get to dump what they do on others to avoid the liability?

This brings me to a worry spot.

I have met several surveyors throughout time that seem to think absorbing liability is a good idea.

Just today I was on the phone with a colleague that was telling me how he was stuck re-designing a parking lot because the engineer tossed some grades.

I have little understanding of this sort of thinking.

Personally I would have sent it back to the engineer with some as-built shots and told him to fix it. I would have then requested a PO from my client for the new calc's I would have to do as an extra and then billed out today as an extra because the engineer wasted my time by messing things up and then suggested to my client that he back charge the engineer for my extra and wasted time.

I am wondering if this is why I don't do a lot of staking??? Huh?

So back to the deed prep thing. I am wondering if surveyors will start doing more of it even if they are not qualified to do so?? I certainly hope not.

I was on the phone with my insurance agent today. I am renewing my E&O and I once again had to remind her that I not, never have been nor will I ever be a design professional and I in no way should have to be associated with them nor have to absorb any sort of premium that has anything to do with that topic.

I wrote recently about the surveyors need to re-take our identity.

I am going to be writing a lot this year about that and also how we need to cut our liability. Those 2 things are an absolute must for all of us.

Liability surveyors!! Lets all cut back on it the un-required and double our protection on the required.

Make it a great week.



No comments:

Post a Comment