Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Agitated

I have to tell you I get really pissed off when I try to do the right thing and people pay zero attention.

Last year I was hired to do a topo on a massive hillside lot. I went in and laid panels and shot the property corners.

I used an un-recorded Alta from another surveyor who I took the job over from because the client liked what I had to say about the aerial being more accurate in this particular case.

I also had a recorded survey next door that seemed to fit with the Alta.

I calc'd the description and quickly discovered a 7 foot bust in the math.

I started looking at the Alta and the recorded survey and noticed that both surveyors are holding a radial call from the rear corner to the radius of a cul de sac and they are creating an excess in my clients lot and a deficiency in the adjoiner.

Me being the diligent monkey that I am went back to the site and shot the points next door and then I calc'd the legal backward and what do you think I found???

Yes that's right boys and girls I found an old rusty rebar that brings both deeds into mathematical harmony!! Yes I did.

I promptly notified my client of the bust in the legal and the other problems. I made an exhibit and sent it over to him. He is a very smart man and wanted resolution and started looking into it right away.

I called the surveyor with the recorded map and sent him my info. Within an hour he called me back and told me that he agreed with me and re-recorded his map.

The Alta guy is a different story. He is in full belief that he is correct which I disagree. For one I found the Alta to be deficient and lacking information, two it was not recorded and 3 there was no mention of the mathematical bust in the deed. I could go on.

In reality if I was the sort of guy that does this kind of thing this person should be turned into the board for this survey, but that is another story.

Time went on and I was in touch with the client several times and provided info when I could.

Then I received another email telling me that the guy next door now agrees with the Alta guy. I call the guy and ask why.

He gets lippy and tells me that he has a really good case based on a copy of an old topography provided to him by the Alta guy. He re-re-recorded the survey to put it back the way it was.

I say great send it to me. Upon receipt it was sure enough a copy of an old topography showing a radial line from the rear corner to the radius.

In my mind I still know that there is a bust in the legal and there are monuments to support deed harmony and then I am amazed that these two guys are putting this much weight on a bearing when clearly it messes things up.

I write the client and tell him that I still disagree with these two people and that the bottom line is there is a problem that needs fixed and it should most likely be the title company to do.

At that point stepped fully away from it. I was after all only hired to do a topo and I should be able to rely on the deed and the Alta.

Today the civil engineer called me and told me that the client want him to use the Alta boundary. I told him to do what he thinks is right, that some resolution has come through title and there are recorded doc's to cover it. I also asked him to remove any mention of my company from his plans.

I then told him that when the builder wants me to stake the house that I will be turning down the job. Can you imagine the liability that could come from this? The builder is a great client too.

This is a strange one. I really hope they work it out correctly.

Bottom line is that I care very much about this and what kind of ramifications it carries for the client.

Thoughts??

No comments:

Post a Comment