Sunday, August 12, 2012

Technology Again

I have spoken a lot about technology and the pros and cons of it as it is related to our business.

This last week I made the determination that I am behind the curve.

I was speaking with an equipment sales guy about the future of surveying and the advances that have happened and how because of the recession I have not made a purchase in 6 years except for small things, cables etc.

Looking at the newer stuff I can tell it is much improved and I am going to assume more accurate. Yes even GPS. I say this because the newer stuff hardly loses lock and locks much more quickly when it is fired up of floats.
The robots speak for themselves.

I have a theory that through technology the surveyor can start pushing the contractors to adopt machine control, the concrete guys can be trained to use robots and they all can be trained on software. They to are starting to be run by a younger forward thinking generation that is embracing it all.

I say it's about time.

Where is the surveyors part? A project will always need us but we can now step back from staking and let the liability rest where it always should. On the shoulder of the contractor.

The future is us teaching them how to use equipment and software and yes teaching them that they are the responsible ones.

We are at a time when we will no longer be the first ones the finger gets pointed at.

That all said I now have a personal thing to talk about.

Saturday I said goodbye to my Blackberry and got a killer HTC phone.

My berry was 3.5 years old, dated and slow. I have to tell you that this HTC 4G phone is quite a shock with all of the functions and speed. Within an hour I was asking myself why haven't I gotten one of these sooner??

I think that we must progress with technology as surveyors. I know it can cause problems and brain dead newbees or does it?

I think the new people just think differently then us 20+ years guys. They think in solution and apps and we think in practical.

It's all part of the evolution of our biz.

Make it a great week surveyors!!

No comments:

Post a Comment