Saturday, February 5, 2011

Professionalism

Yesterday I had the pleasure of having lunch with a real live government surveyor.

While I have not always seen eye to with the governments perspective on things I have to tell you that this person is a genuine class act.

I found this person to be very informative and at the same time somewhat naive about what happens in the private sector as far as operations and view points.

I will tell you right now that this was one of the most productive times I have ever spent with a peer.

I was able to help open their eyes to facts that the small business surveyor is responsible for most of the documentation filed and recorded, that we do this to feed our families, we have strong opinions, most have great ethical standards and much more.

He helped enlighten me to government procedure, regulations and the fact that they want the same things for the profession as the private guy. Refreshing to say the least.

One thing I did not know is that I can not by a government peer lunch. I always offer to buy when I extend the invitation and was immediately informed that this could be misconstrued if I ever wanted a contract. Needless to say I was a little taken back by this. This person is extremely loyal to his department, his craft and very professional.

If you are reading this Mr. Government guy it was a pleasure and I look forward to speaking again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment