Thursday, February 3, 2011

Maps, Documents and Organizations

In my research I have noticed a fact. Small business people are responsible for a majority of all of the maps filed and documents recorded in Maricopa County.

Now my big question is this: How come a majority of the people in governing positions such as the BTR and APLS have government or big company jobs and are not business owners?

Well I am going to tell you that this is a huge problem.

This is a typical thing where the smallest majority makes all of the rules and the large majority sits back and takes it in the keester.

I belong to the APLS mostly because on an average of 3 times year a new client calls having found me on the website. I view it as an advertising tool. I have never participated and most likely never will aside from some seminars.

As I have said many times on this blog I am a very business minded person. I only participate in organizations that are going to enhance my business. Frankly hanging out with a bunch of surveyors will do nothing for my revenue; however there is always something to learn from another surveyor in a wide range from methods to accounting tricks.

We do need each other as mirror images, but what do we want to see when looking into said mirror? That my friends, is a huge question.

I want to propose the formation of an independent surveyor/small business group that meets once a month to discuss important issues.

The rules are simple.
1)     Must be an RLS
2)     Must own the company (no proxy)
3)     Must stick to the topic of the day (2 minute time limit)
4)     Must have a genuine interest in making things better for all
5)     No hidden agendas (Grounds for dismissal)
6)     No bad mouthing anyone
7)     Must be open minded about having BTR and APLS guests to listen to what we have to say and to give a brief talk.

After compiling a list of important issues and changes we lobby the BTR to adopt the changes we would like to see. And yes the APLS also, but starting at the BTR is the way to go.

Those are just initial thoughts, there are a lot of details that need put together and I am willing to meet with those who are interested in being founding members to compile a format. There has to be at least 5 people (business owners) to even consider this.

This is in no way an attempt to take over the APLS, shut it down or do it any harm. I think the APLS has done a lot of great things over the years and I will continue to support it with my yearly check.

This group is an opportunity to put the voice of the little guy together and make it big.

If you have an interest in participating please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment