Monday, December 6, 2010

Professionalism – Do I know?

I am a really good surveyor. It’s true. Ask anyone that has ever worked with or for me and even if they dislike me they will tell you that I am a really good surveyor.
Am I an expert? Never!!!! I would never portray myself as such because when that happens I would be asked to testify and that is the last thing I would want to do. That just sounds like unwanted liability. Besides, there are others that are way more qualified for that title and better surveyors as well.
Want to know one of the things that make me a professional?
It’s knowing what I don’t know and let me tell that is a lot.
There is one thing that I am an expert at and that is utilizing other people’s talents. I have never been afraid to go to someone more qualified than myself for an opinion or an answer. To beat myself into the ground trying to figure it out or refusing to ask is detrimental and arrogant.
On many occasions I have sought the help of others in areas from math problems, deed interpretation, AutoCad, grammar in legals, expert witness, the list goes on and on.
Over the past few years my best friends have become a Blacks Law Dictionary, Wattles, my attorneys and a handful of surveyors that I go to for answers, each one are used for a different thing.
Example: Just recently I had a problem plotting some easements. I had started the whole thing incorrectly from the POB and nothing was fitting. After about an hour of staring at this stuff I called a colleague, sent the info over and within 30 minutes I was on the right track. My bad? Oh yeah!
Example: When I get a hold of something like a spiral curve I will usually go to a math whiz for the calc’s.
Example: I recently had a problem interpreting the language in a deed. While at lunch with a friend that happens to be an attorney I tossed it in front of him and got confirmation on my thoughts.
Example: I have twice used a total rock star of a surveyor as an expert witness and because of what he said my attorneys were able to kick some ass.
I cannot emphasize enough the importance of another set of eyes, even if they are a less qualified pair they can often see something that you are missing.
Almost every day I discover something new about this profession that I did not know, albeit a trick of the trade or a law thing, etc.
I am sure about this. As long as I am in this profession I must remember that there is much I do not know, there is much to learn, I am not the end all of surveyors and everyone has something to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment