Thursday, August 29, 2013

Forward Motion

OK, Lately I have been doing a lot of thinking about how I have done business up to now and the important things that need to change.

After taking the seminar I mentioned in the last post I have decided to create a wall between myself and that dreaded word Liability.

Liability is a word that to many surveyors want to absorb and I have always wondered about that. Why??? Why in the world would one want that??

I recently took all of my contracts and map notes and some other doc's to an attorney that specializes in working with surveyors and engineers and have asked him to do a major sprucing of everything.

I want to separate myself as much as possible from liability and paint a very clear picture of the clients responsibility and liability in every engagement.

I also want to make it abundantly clear that I am not a design professional. I have never designed nor will I ever design anything.

One major point I want to be very clear on is the fact that I can never tell a client what they own. That is a matter of title. I am a professional evidence producer and everything I do is merely an opinion and should be verified if they choose to do so.

There a several other points that am having him work on, those are the most prevalent.

I am through taking responsibility for things that a Land Surveyor should not.

On to another topic.

I have made a solid decision to switch to Micro Survey. I am finished with Auto Cad.

I got a call the other day from a really cute girl trying to get me to update to C3D. I politely told her that C3D is a solution for Civil's and design professionals and I have zero use for a program that I will only use 10 percent of.

She was nice and I decided to let her work me up a cost anyway and upon receipt firmly decided to switch software and I gave her a written punch list as to why.

This coming year is going to be a whole new ball game for this kid. I have a new company name, a soon to be released web site, a solid marketing plan in place and a plan for new equipment and most important a forecast that dictates things are becoming normal again.

Peace out surveyors.

No comments:

Post a Comment