Sunday, January 8, 2012

The cost of things

Well it's that time of the year when I have to fill out applications for E&O and GL renewals.

The good news is revenues are down for 2011 so the premiums will be a lot less. More good news is that I have gotten rid of a lot of equipment that is collecting dust and the price of replacements has dropped as well.

I did some checking and yes what I said is true. Equipment is a lot cheaper now. I was pleasantly surprised by this fact. So much so I got to drop the replacement cost &100,000.

This should be a great year for premiums which will make things easier while business picks back up. Next year will be a much different deal, but go 2012 rates.

I spend a lot of time trying to cut costs for my company. I search for better phone deals, better premiums, I find the best places for fuel (Scottsdale is not one). Essentially I cut cost wherever I can.

I recently renewed my plan with TMobile, by doing so I saved $125.00 on my monthly bill and ended up with a much better plan. I also switched my office lines to Vonage and clipped another $30.00 off of my bill.

I am in the process of moving offices because the neighbors want to take over the entire upper floor and sign a 3 year lease. I found a spot that is bigger, $25.00 a month cheaper and I am month to month. How much better does that get? Did I mention closure to home therefore I will save on fuel.

All of these little things add up. At the end of the day it increases my bottom line and makes for a much happier surveyor.

Why should I spend my life working to pay someone else when I should be getting paid?

As the year progresses I intend to hire 2-3 employees. The forecast looks great and I am going to go for it.

The dilemma I am having is what kind of a package should I offer? Should I bring them in as employees or contract labor? The office people are absolutely contract, but the field people have to be employees because of workers comp issues. Do I offer the field people health insurance? That is a good question. Do I pay them less and insure or let them deal with it?

Employees in any business is the largest expense.

I am an employer that believes in paying for full benefits, contributing 6% to their 401k and giving large bonuses.

Business has become a lot different today and anyone that is a survivor will approach things with extreme caution.

I think when it comes to employees I will start very lean, see how things progress and then expand the benefits.

In a nut shell boys and girls 2012 is going to be a good year. I believe that a recovery in our profession is here. All of the bad employees have moved on, people are hiring and the cash is starting to flow.

We all now have a chance to staff up with quality people and really crank out some good work. For the first time ever I can be choosy about the bodies and I intend to build a dream team of talent.

1 comment:

  1. Be careful with the contract labor thing. The rules have really been screwed down. If I understand it right if you directly supervise their work; they are employees. SurveyorConnect had a good discussion on this a while ago.

    I don't think things are going to break loose until the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year. People will want to see who the next president is going to be. So I don't look for much more activity than what we are seeing now. Housing is still upside down in that it is cheaper to buy an existing home than to build. Until the housing comes around land and development will remain sluggish. I am not certain about commercial development either; there are alot of vacant strip malls around... I think your predictions are 1 year premature.

    ReplyDelete