Wednesday, December 7, 2011

End of Year

It seems to be the basic consensus that the cash flow slows during the month of December.

For many years now it has been quite the opposite for my company but for the last week little has been happening.

I have a bunch of estimates out there that have been confirmed, we are just waiting on a go.

So I have taken this time to drop back and clean up my year. I started with the books. The books is the essential part of any business and tells the true story. I have reconciled everything from accounts to credit lines etc. QB has been sent to the CPA and now I am awaiting changes and year end strategy advise.

I have moped up little things on jobs, gotten a bunch of filing done, archived jobs, fixed some red lines and other little things like that.

I have an awesome girl doing some revisions to my website which are long over due. I am really excited about this as the site is dated and has not been updated in 5 years. I still have people listed that have been gone for a long time.

I bought some cheap website software and did an updated layout along with hyper links and other goodies to create a more professional, informative and user friendly site and then handed it off to the pro. If anyone needs a good website person let me know.

In a nut shell I have been doing everything that I have been complacent about all year and it feels good.

I even have my Christmas shopping done. Usually I am one of those bleary eyed men running around on Christmas Eve.

I am thankful for the down times as well as the busy times. Although the revenue suffers a little all that other stuff is done and I can let it pile up again. Besides the plate is now fully clear for a charge.

As a business owner even when the GPS is sitting there I am always busy and that's a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. Nothing beats Walgreens on December 24th at around 7:00 pm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing I enjoy about this time of year is that it gives me time to really network. I like to take a box of oranges down to the County Recorder's Office and the Assessor's Office. I spend a lot of time in there and we are all on a first name basis. Plus is doesn't hurt when someone comes in asking for a surveyor recommendation either.....So fostering and building those relationships is important. I also like to try to get my business year end stuff done but I am not as thorough as John. Plus when the weather has us shut down it gives me a chance to do holiday shopping and go to programs that my kids are in. So really it is not a stressful time.

    ReplyDelete