Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Stick

So there I am in the beautiful Aqua Fria River bottom this morning blazing through the sand setting panels.

The day was going way better than expected thanks to the GDAC guys and AZ Cors everything came together quickly and accurate.

I was on my way to set a panel close to a 1/16th and when I pulled up I heard a hiss. I looked and there was a stick about 1/4" in diameter sticking out of my side wall.

Needless to say I was a little dismayed so I did the sensible thing and grabbed my hammer and drove the stick further into the tire and almost stopped the leak.

Fortunately I found it early enough and I raced through that river bottom like a bat out of hell, laid down my last 2 panels and actually found a rebar at center of section that hit with .15'.

As I was wrapping things up I noticed the tire was getting pretty low, so I hurried to pack it up and blazed to the gas station to cram it full of air and head for home.

Now here is something kind of cool. I went into the store to get quarters for the machine and the guy turned it on for nothing. How cool was that?

Yes I made it home with ample air and switched trucks, however when I return later it was totally flat.

That's what I call dodging a bullet!!!

Now I have to once again give props to GDACS for all of their great work. Using the information I pulled from their site and network gps, I was able to go around an entire section, do a property corner search and everything checked well, lay down and control 8 panel points in a river bottom that required 4 wheel drive, deal with the tire issue all in 6.5 hours with travel both directions.

Also props to AZ Cors network GPS. I think this is a great advancement. I have used AZGPS and Spider Net as well and really like them both, but AZ Cors has a really good price tag.

I love the technology and info that has enabled us to be a 1 man machine in most cases.
I ran a 50% profit margin on this particular project because of it.

1 comment:

  1. I use an atv for that stuff now. Since they don't build durable trucks anymore it saves on the were and tear and pickups are getting to be to expensive to destroy in hinterlands. Up here though its the basalt and its jagged edges that shred tires, destroy alignments, bend rims, and break axles. Thats why the ATV is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete