Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Field to Finish

I have been talking a lot lately about how technology has made it easier to turn a profit. Well yesterday I did it again.

I had a 1.2 acre hillside subdivision lot to do a topo on with a 50' vertical and an average amount of vegetation.

I did all of the calc's on Sunday while I was watching the race.

I rolled on to the site at 7:30, having stopped at another small staking project on the way, I established control holding the centerline monuments, went around the property looking for monuments, I found 5 of 9 and they checked really well. I then proceeded to topo the crap out of this thing taking around 350 shots +/- and picked up some extra things for the architect like view corridors and certain pre-flagged spots around the lot for design rotation.
When I was finished I dipped the manholes, picked it up and headed for the office.

Side note: I did encounter a big ass rattle snake who was less than thrilled that I was around!!!

At the office I downloaded the data, brought the points into Cad and went right to work drafting. (Note: I am yet to set myself up for auto line work).

This is for the business guys.

Total time break down is as follows:

Pre site calcs and research- 1 hour
Field time - 4 hours
Drafting/finish time - 4.5 hours
Invoice - 5 minutes.

Total time 9.5 hours, 5 minutes all done myself.

Now here comes the cool part. I charged 1750 for this job. Those of you familiar with labor burden will see the significance.

Note: there are always different factors when bidding a project. Available info and benchmarks is what dictated this job, which there was plenty of both.

Go GPS and AutoCad!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment