Sunday, December 1, 2013

Surveyors of the Future

I have been pondering the future of surveying as of late and am wondering what we need to do as a group to make this an appealing profession for those bright eyed non jaded youngsters of America.

Question: Would you recommend that your children become a surveyor?

My Answer: Hell no!!

So what is the answer from my readers? Please chime in.

So there in lies my dilemma. When I am asked by a young person if I would recommend this as a profession what do I say? Really, if I would not recommend it to my kids how could I in good conscience tell someone else's kid to do it?

Do I tell them the truth?
That surveying is a great job as long as you work under the shield of the government or a big company.
And further be even more honest and tell them that it is an absolutely horrible business to be in.

How does one explain the truth to an enthused youngster without kicking the wind completely out of their sails? A great job but terrible business? Seems to be a contradiction.

How does one explain the difference between the surveying biz and the customer service biz?

Personally I am in the customer service business and surveying just happens to be the professional service that I provide. I get a lot of work from people that have previously used surveyors that have bad customer service.

So fellow surveyors, what say you on this topic?? Please step up with some input.

Make it a great week!


2 comments:

  1. The Mighty John Ware,

    I find it amazing with the amount of “hits” this blog gets compared to the lack of input from our fellow surveyors...well, let’s just say I’m not sure what they’re afraid of, but I would love to see thoughts and ideas from (say) 50 other guys on any one topic. I look at it like this - when we were all greenhorns – you worked with multiple Party Chief’s – took in everything you’ve learned, and came up with better ideas and procedures utilizing all of their combined experience – pussies...

    That said,

    My answer is yes and no. Being a Registered Professional Land Surveyor, I can truly say that for the most part, being a Land Surveyor has been very good to me and for my family. I am barely getting by, but getting by. I drive a 20 year old truck with over 200,000 miles on her. But I have been able to put my daughter through college with no student loans and am debt free – and my son is next.

    My son has helped me on many surveying projects. Topographic surveys, Construction Staking, etc. He can set up and run the “Gun” and does very well at running the rod on topo surveys.

    If indeed he did want to become a Land Surveyor – he already has a job with his name on it.

    As far as the statements in the blog – I would use the word “challenging” as far as a business goes. I do not feel that to be a successful surveyor you need to work for the government or a large firm. John, you could be very correct, but for me, I’ll take the smaller stuff. Your not just a number – or subject to budget cuts.

    I love technology, new systems, MIFI, GPS Networks, AutoCAD, and on and on. I love the diversity of “no 2 days are the same”. I learn something new every day. I go all over the state – and beyond. Some days are difficult, and some are easier – which you will find in any profession.

    All this bullshit said, if my son wants to become a Land Surveyor, my answer would be Fuck yes – lets get started, and (obviously) I’ll teach you everything I know. And if he heads down a different direction, my answer will be Fuck yes, what do I need to do to help you achieve your goal.

    Peace Out... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself in an environment where the land surveyor is a respected and highly regarded member of the community. My daughters see this and they think its neat. So now they want to be like me. Just like I wanted to be like my father.

    The answer is simple we get the respect we deserve. Our actions dictate our place in the social structure. A Land Surveyor should be a valued part of a community's structure.

    I think our profession will draw the interest once we get a handle on our identity.

    ReplyDelete