Sunday, June 17, 2012

On the lake

The other day I had to get some depths on some lakes in a gravel pit on the Salt River.

Many of you may remember the video I posted of me and Dane in the rubber boat and I was dropping a chain with a brick tied to the end to get depth. Check out the youtube page right side of this page.

This time I got a little smarter. I bought this cool little 1955 row boat and went and picked up a depth finder.
I then went all MacGyver and fashioned a bracket made of framing strap and screwed it to the boat and then attached magnet setup to the depth finder transponder so I can slide it up and down on the strap to hit the water.

Then I dug through my shed and found an old triple magnet strip, actually a framing strap with 3 magents from stereo speakers that I used for the gps head on the truck roof and I also found an old bracket from when I had a Legacy E and had to keep the radio off of the head. I attached the bracket to the magnet strap, used C clamps and stuck it to the seat and had my gps attachement.

I dug a 12" rod out of the shed and screwed to the bracket, attached the head shoved off and went collecting.

I was able to take a bunch of shots while trolling along, looking at the finder and using the depth as my descriptor with good xyz and was able to provide the client with a much better reading of the lakes.

I could most likely do a full bathymetric in this manner it would just take quite a while. Fortunantly he did not want all of that.

I am thinking if this keeps up I may have to budget in some Hydrographic equipment to do a real bath.

Until that day this will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment