Sunday, May 13, 2012

Biz is picking up

As the world gets better we are all going to have to gear up and re-expand.

I have spoken about this a lot in the past and have gone back and forth on it so many times and that is the topic of contracted labor versus employees.

It is today that I tell the world that I am going 100 percent contract labor.

There are so many reasons why but one of the main ones is quality control. By contracting people with great long term experience instead of hiring may cost me a little more up front but the end result is going to be better, therefore it is money well spent.

I was at a party the other night and the topic of quality control was presented to me. "How do you maintain quality control"? I thought about it for a couple of second and laid it out as such. By hiring contractors that have more experience than I do and ensuring that they all carry insurance, by removing myself from the mechanics and just monitoring a project and go through the end result I can achieve better quality than if I had 20 people running around. Hiring another person to do the mechanics (the right person) can be very beneficial in the long run.

Can I remove myself all together? Hell no, but using other people that are RLS is a start to expansion and it also employs them.

Creating jobs is very important to me as a business owner and also being a person with strong beliefs in my community makes it even more so.

I have been studying companies that practice this model and most of them are wildly successful. Why?Because the owner constantly monitors the quality of the final product.

I really enjoy doing field to finish but if I am going to get to where I want to be, to a level of actually making some money I have to expand and this is how I will do it.

It's a test drive but I have the utmost confidence that it is going to work better than anything I have ever done.

3 comments:

  1. BE CAREFUL... You cannot directly supervise contract labor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yes.

    I have an agreement prepared by my very protective warlord of an attorney that they all have to sign that makes it official.

    You can have a copy of it if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good. All I'm saying is my accountant has warned me repeatedly about contract labor. It seems the IRS's view can be a self-serving moving target. All I can say is tread lightly...

    ReplyDelete